Sunday, June 17, 2012

Buck Clayton Quartet 1965


The environment in which I was introduced to jazz demanded a certain attention, almost idolizing one can say, to the university of Count Basie. One of the first thing I learned from my "jazz uncle" was the importance of each alumni of this Oxford institution of jazz; and there came up the name of Buck Clayton, a trumpet player from Basie's orchestra. Later I rediscovered him by listening to his legendary jam sessions for CBS, and I was completely hooked by his lyricism and imperturbable phrasing in mid-tempo pieces.

In the future posts I'll discuss some of my favourite Clayton recordings which are not as widely recognised as they deserve to be, but for this Sunday evening how about nearly half an hour of Buck Clayton in 1965 Genève?
Enjoy!


Buck Clayton Quartet
Genève, Switzerland, 24/10/1965
Duration 22:35
Buck Clayton (trumpet),  Henri Chaix (piano), Isla Eckinger (bass), Pierre Bourru (drums).

Set list:

  1. 'S Wonderful
  2. I Can't Get Started
  3. Honeysuckle Rose
  4. Perdido

No comments:

Post a Comment